Today was the first race of two in the Eurochallenge 2012. The second race isthe downwind race tomorrow. The prizes are given to the winner with the best combined time of the two races. The points from the downwind race tomorrow will be included in the World Ocean Series. Today’s race was a classic 20 km course. With hardly no wind and no waves. It became a very close race were a group of four rushed to the top, Jeremy Cotter from Australia, last years winner Sean Rice, the kayak marathon ICF world champion Hank McGregor and Simon Van Gysen, all from South Africa. Sean Rice made a move about half way into the race. But when only 3-4 km left of the race the following three were able to catch up. Simon Van Gysen won the race after a thrilling finish in front of Hank McGregor and Sean Rice.
Result Eurochallenge 2012 Classic Race
- Simon Van Gysen, Sydafrica, Allwave CX
- Hank McGregor, Sydafrica, Fenn Elite SL
- Sean Rice, Sydafrica, Think Uno Max
- Jeremy Cotter, Australien, Fenn Elite SL
- Dawid Mocke, Sydafrica, Fenn Elite SL
- Michael Booth, Australien, Think Uno Max